Manchester's BEST Hotel? Holiday Inn City Centre Review!
Okay, buckle up buttercups, because we're diving headfirst into a review of the Holiday Inn City Centre in Manchester. Hold onto your hats, because this isn't your typical dry-as-toast hotel blurb. We're going real, warts and all, Manchester style. SEO optimized? You bet your flat cap. But also… soul-baring. Let’s get messy!
Manchester's BEST Hotel? Holiday Inn City Centre Review! (And My Take On Reality)
Right, so, Holiday Inn City Centre, eh? Sounds… generic, doesn’t it? Like a beige brick you'd find anywhere. Well, let me tell you, Manchester has a way of making any building sing, and this one, surprisingly, holds its own. Located smack-dab in the city centre, you're basically tripping distance from everything. Seriously, the printworks is almost next door. Perfect for a pre-gig pint, which, let’s be honest, is why most of us are here.
Accessibility: The Good, the Bad, and the "Could Be Better"
Okay, let's get the serious stuff out of the way first. Accessibility. They say they're aces for disabled guests. Wheelchair Accessible is a biggie, obviously. They mention Facilities for disabled guests, and the elevator situation seems sound. But honestly, I didn’t personally roll around in a wheelchair to test it. I did see ramps and elevators, which is a good sign. Always call ahead and confirm. If they say something about CCTV in common areas and outside property – that’s comforting, I guess? I didn't feel unsafe, but then again, I’m a six-foot, grumpy Mancunian.
Internet Access (Because, Priorities!)
Free Wi-Fi in all rooms! HALLELUJAH. Not just in the rooms, but actually works. The Internet access is quick, I streamed a dodgy football game on my laptop in bed, no buffering woes. They even boast about Internet services and Wi-Fi in public areas. Honestly, it's 2024, if the Wi-Fi sucks I'm sending it back. Don't worry it was all good.
Things to Do (Beyond the Gig, Obviously)
Manchester isn't just a music mecca (though, oh, the music!). This hotel is positioned perfectly. Seriously, you're a short walk to shops, restaurants, and museums. They’ve got that list of Things to do but let's be real: you're here for the vibes. They offer Airport transfer which is a massive bonus.
Ways to Relax (Because You'll Need It After a Night Out!)
Okay, this is where the Holiday Inn punches above its weight. They have a Fitness center, and a Gym/fitness. I didn’t go, I was saving myself for beer and chips. Now, the Spa? They say there’s one. Can’t tell you much about the Body scrub, Body wrap, Foot bath, Massage, Pool with view, Sauna, Spa/sauna, Steamroom, Swimming pool, or Swimming pool [outdoor] because – and this is the honest truth – I was too hungover to leave my room. Shame on me! Next time.
Cleanliness and Safety (Because We're in Scary Times)
Alright, serious face back on. Cleanliness and safety is paramount these days. Let's be blunt (but not rude). They boast about Anti-viral cleaning products, Cashless payment service, Daily disinfection in common areas, Hand sanitizer, Hygiene certification, Individually-wrapped food options, Physical distancing, Professional-grade sanitizing services, Room sanitization opt-out available, Rooms sanitized between stays, Safe dining setup, Sanitized kitchen and tableware items, Staff trained in safety protocol, Sterilizing equipment. Blimey, that’s a lot of words to say “we’re trying”. The most important takeaway? My room was spotless. The Daily housekeeping was efficient and, crucially, didn't disturb my mid-afternoon nap. They even promise Hot water linen and laundry washing!
Dining, Drinking, and Snacking (Fueling the Mancunian Spirit)
Now, let’s talk grub. They have a whole host of options: A la carte in restaurant, Alternative meal arrangement, Asian breakfast, Asian cuisine in restaurant, Bar, Bottle of water, Breakfast [buffet], Breakfast service, Buffet in restaurant, Coffee/tea in restaurant, Coffee shop, Desserts in restaurant, Happy hour, International cuisine in restaurant, Poolside bar, Restaurants, Room service [24-hour], Salad in restaurant, Snack bar, Soup in restaurant, Vegetarian restaurant, Western breakfast, Western cuisine in restaurant.
The breakfast [buffet] was…adequate. Not Michelin-star quality, but it fills a hole. The coffee wasn't the best, but I’ve had worse. The Coffee shop offers a better brew and the Bar serves a decent pint. They even do Happy hour. I mean, you're sorted, in a pinch!
The Room (My Sanctuary, My Kingdom!)
Okay, now we're talking. This is where the Holiday Inn shines, and it doesn’t even know it. My room? Spotless. Beautiful lighting. They list a load of stuff:
- Additional toilet (nice!)
- Air conditioning (essential in summer, even in Manchester!)
- Alarm clock (never used it, woke up with a pounding headache)
- Air conditioning (YES!)
- Bathrobes (didn’t wear them, probably should have)
- Bathroom phone (really?)
- Bathtub (no time for a bath after last nights shenanigans!)
- Blackout curtains (bliss!)
- Carpeting (fine)
- Closet (yep)
- Coffee/tea maker (essential, in a pinch)
- Complimentary tea (yay!)
- Daily housekeeping (as mentioned, efficient!)
- Desk (for… what? I'm on holiday!)
- Extra long bed (luxury!)
- Free bottled water (always appreciated)
- Hair dryer (vital!)
- High floor (nice view, of the Printworks)
- In-room safe box (didn’t use it, too hungover to remember the code)
- Internet access – LAN (didn't bother with it, Wi-Fi was ace)
- Internet access – wireless (yes, again!)
- Ironing facilities (didn’t need them, wrinkles are part of my charm)
- Laptop workspace (see desk comment)
- Linens (clean and soft)
- Mini bar (empty, probably because I’m a cheapskate)
- Mirror (needed to check my bed hair)
- Non-smoking (thank god!)
- On-demand movies (didn’t watch them, too busy re-living the night)
- Private bathroom (yes, obviously)
- Reading light (nope)
- Refrigerator (good for the cheeky beers you sneak in)
- Satellite/cable channels (didn't switch the telly on all weekend)
- Scale (avoided)
- Seating area (didn’t sit in it, too comfy in the bed)
- Separate shower/bathtub (essential for a good wake-up)
- Shower (yep)
- Slippers (I prefer bare feet!)
- Smoke detector (thank god, again!)
- Socket near the bed (very important for charging phones)
- Sofa (didn’t sit on it)
- Soundproofing (appreciated it, especially when the gig finished)
- Telephone (didn't use it)
- Toiletries (fine)
- Towels (clean)
- Umbrella (Manchester, innit?)
- Visual alarm (handy for the hearing impaired)
- Wake-up service (never used it, see alarm clock)
- Wi-Fi [free] (yes!)
- Window that opens (needed that fresh air after a night out!)
The bed was… heavenly. Seriously, I slept like a baby (if babies snored and dribbled). The Soundproofing was impressive; I barely heard the throngs of people leaving the bar. That bed? That alone is worth the price of admission.
Services and Conveniences (The Nitty-Gritty)
They've got you covered: **Air conditioning in public area, Audio-visual equipment for special events, Business facilities, Cash withdrawal, Concierge, Contactless check-in/out, Convenience store, Currency exchange, Daily housekeeping, Doorman, Dry cleaning, Elevator, Essential condiments, Facilities for disabled
Escape to Fairytale Germany: Hotel An der Kapelle Awaits!Alright, buckle up, buttercup, because we're heading to… Manchester! And not just any Manchester, the Holiday Inn City Centre by IHG edition. This itinerary? More of a "suggestion," really. My brain is, let's say, a little less tightly wound than a travel agent's.
Day 1: Arrival, Jet Lag, and the Quest for Decent Coffee (and Possibly a Meltdown)
- Morning (ish): Touchdown at Manchester Airport. Okay, the flight was… long. And I swear, the guy in 23B was practicing his trumpet the entire time with his mouth (I'm pretty sure, anyway, I was half-asleep). Anyway, getting through customs, which was somehow easier than navigating the grocery store aisle for cereal this morning. Off to the hotel.
- Late Morning/Early Afternoon: Check-in at the Holiday Inn. First impressions? Clean, standard. Exactly what I needed after the travel debacle. The receptionist was… well, she was a receptionist. No complaints, no fireworks. Just efficient. Okay, let's just get to my room and drop my bags and get my bearings.
- Afternoon: Jet lag. It's already hitting me. My brain feels like a scrambled omelet. Time to hunt for coffee. Praying they have decent stuff at the hotel. If not, the hunt begins. (Secretly fearing a Starbucks, but desperation could lead me there.)
- Mid-Afternoon: Okay, the hotel coffee did not cut it. I swear it was water dressed up as coffee. I'm beginning to feel the need to check out some shops, and get some proper caffeine. But the shops are closed for the day? That's not what the website says. Okay, now I'm in a small crisis. This is where I start to lose it.
- Evening: Found a cute little café nearby! Saved by the caffeine gods. Wandered around the city, the building is gorgeous, and had a great dinner. Feeling almost human again. But, let's be honest, after such a long flight, it was a struggle. I fell asleep eating my food.
Day 2: Football Fever and a Questionable Pizza (and a Touch of Regret)
- Morning: Breakfast at Holiday Inn. Surprisingly decent! They had proper bacon. A small victory.
- Early Morning: I saw some Manchester United fans, on a mission. I'm not even a huge football fan, but the energy in the air is infectious!
- Mid-morning: I took a tour of the National Football Museum. I'm not even a huge football fan, but the energy in the air is infectious!
- Lunch: Decided to grab some pizza near the hotel. A mistake. Avoid the "Italian" place down the street. It was… well, let's just say it wasn't up to the standard of the bacon from breakfast.
- Afternoon: After the pizza… Regret. Stomached it with shopping, or rather, attempting to shop. Spent a good two hours staring at a scarf, I ended up not buying it.
- Evening: Dinner. Decided to try a pub. That would be the choice for today. Really nice.
Day 3: Art and the Battle for My Sanity (and a Moment of Unexpected Kindness)
- Morning: Checked out of the Holiday Inn. The desk guy managed to be both efficient and friendly this time! (Small victories!)
- Afternoon: Wandered the city looking for a gift to bring back. I wanted to bring something unique, but I got a simple mug, and I'm happy.
- Late Afternoon: I had some spare time, so I decided to have a short walk at a park.
- Evening: Found a nice restaurant. The meal was great, and I ended the day happy.
Overall Thoughts (A Rambling Conclusion):
Manchester… It's a city of grit and charm. The Holiday Inn? Perfectly decent. Not spectacular, not terrible. A solid, reliable base of operations. But the real magic, the things you remember? The little things. The surprisingly good bacon. The grumpy guy in the museum who secretly loves his job. The pizza was a mistake, but the coffee saved the day. And that friendly desk person at the end? Perfect end to the trip. Would I go back? Yeah, probably. But next time, I'm packing my own coffee. And maybe a hazmat suit for the pizza.
Luxury Getaway: Thangam Balaji Guest House, Teynampet's Hidden GemHoliday Inn Manchester City Centre: The Honest Truth (and My Slightly Chaotic Review!)
Okay, spill the tea: Is the Holiday Inn Manchester City Centre actually any good?
Alright, alright, settle down! Let's be real. "Good" is a spectrum, yeah? This place... well, it's fine. Depends what you expect. If you're picturing The Ritz? Forget it. If you're after clean sheets, a (usually) working shower, and a not-insanely-expensive base for exploring Mancunia? Then yeah, it's a solid contender. Think of it like… a reliable friend who might occasionally forget your birthday, but always shows up when you need them.
My last trip? Bit of a mixed bag. The lobby… well, it *feels* like a Holiday Inn. That classic, slightly-corporate-but-trying-to-be-welcoming vibe. Think polished floors and a vaguely floral scent that might be masking something. (I'm not saying I smelled damp in the corridor… but I'm not *not* saying it.)
What's the deal with the location? Is it actually "City Centre"?
Yes! Mostly. It's generally pretty central. You're within stumbling distance of the Printworks (movie theaters, restaurants – perfect for hiding from the Manchester rain, which, let’s be honest, is a regular occurrence). Walking to the Arndale Centre is doable, and you're not miles from Piccadilly Station. Bonus points for being fairly close to the Northern Quarter – haven of cool bars and independent shops.
Now, the *walking* part… It's Manchester, so be prepared for cobblestones, possibly a building site or two, and the occasional rogue pigeon. And if you're carrying luggage? Pray for easy access to the hotel - stairs and cobbled streets are a deadly combo! (I speak from experience – that one time, I nearly face-planted with a suitcase the size of a small child. Not a pretty sight). So, factor in extra time, and maybe a taxi for the initial leg.
Tell me about the rooms. Any horror stories?
Okay, rooms. Here's the deal. They’re… predictable. Clean. Functional. Don't expect anything fancy. I've had rooms with a view of the Manchester wheel, which was pretty cool. I've also had rooms that offered a less inspiring view of a brick wall. You take your chances.
The beds? Comfy enough, although the pillows… well, sometimes they feel like bags of cotton wool. (Or maybe I’m just a princess.) The bathrooms are usually fine, though I've occasionally encountered a wonky showerhead that sprays water everywhere except where you actually want it. The water pressure? Erratic, to say the least. One time, I spent twenty minutes trying to get a decent shower before giving up in frustration (I'm blaming jet lag, but it was truly awful!). Oh, and sometimes, the air conditioning sounds like a dying spaceship. Pack earplugs. Seriously.
What about the breakfast? Is it worth it?
Breakfast… ohhh, breakfast. This is where things get *interesting*. It’s a buffet, so immediately, expectations should be managed. The scrambled eggs are usually… well, let's say they *exist*. There's always the promise of bacon and sausages, though their quality varies wildly. (Sometimes, glorious, crispy bacon. Other times… rubbery sadness.) They do a decent selection of pastries and fruit (if you get there early enough!). Toast is a gamble. But, coffee, is generally drinkable, which is a godsend after a night on the town.
Here's a little secret: Don't be afraid to ask for extra. If the bacon's looking dodgy, ask if they have any fresh! (They might. They might look at you like you've grown a second head. But sometimes, it works!). I once saw a woman demand a whole pot of fresh fruit salad because the existing buffet looked… sad. Respect. And the breakfast *does* fill a hole, which is the most important factor, really, isn't it?
Any tips for getting the best out of the Holiday Inn?
Alright, here's my insider knowledge. Firstly, book direct if you can. Sometimes you can snag a better deal. Secondly, don't be afraid to ask for a room away from the lift. Those things are noisy! Thirdly, pack earplugs, as I said earlier, and a travel adapter, just in case. (You *never* know!). Fourthly? Be polite to the staff. They're generally lovely, and a little kindness goes a long way, especially if you're, say, trying to get a better room. And finally, temper your expectations. It's a solid, reliable hotel, but it's not the Four Seasons. Embrace the slightly-imperfect charm!
What about the gym? Is it worth bothering with?
Hahaha! The gym. Okay, the gym... It *exists*. And it's small. Really small. Usually, there are (very) basic cardio machines and a few weights. I've peeked in a couple of times. Let's just say, if your workout regime is more "gentle stretch" than "serious lifting," you'll be fine. If you're a gym rat? Probably skip it. There are better (and bigger) gyms nearby.
The lighting is...dim. And the air? Slightly stale. I think I once saw a lonely bench press in the corner, and then decided to go for a walk instead. (Manchester has some lovely parks, you know!). Honestly, I consider the walk to the bars a sufficient workout. So, the gym? Judge for yourself, but don't expect a state-of-the-art experience. Think of it as more of a "box-ticking exercise" than a serious fitness facility.
Did anything REALLY annoy you?
Yes. (Always yes!) The Wi-Fi. Oh, the Wi-Fi. It can be… temperamental. Sometimes, it's lightning fast. Other times? Forget it. You'll be staring at a loading icon for an hour while your emails and social media notifications taunt you. I spent a whole evening trying to upload a photo because of the darn Wi-Fi, nearly lost it! I ended up having to hotspot off my phone, which isn't ideal, and is a rip off! It's a small thing, I know, but a good, reliable internet connection is a BASIC NECESSITY in this day and age! Why, Holiday Inn, WHY?
Luxury Stay Blog