1989 Hostel & Cafe: Thailand's BEST Kept Secret (You NEED to See This!)

1989 Hostel & Cafe Thailand

1989 Hostel & Cafe Thailand

1989 Hostel & Cafe: Thailand's BEST Kept Secret (You NEED to See This!)

1989 Hostel & Cafe: Thailand's BEST Kept Secret (You NEED to See This!) - A VERY Honest Review (Brace Yourself!)

Okay, look. I'm not going to lie. I usually HATE writing reviews. They feel… fake. Like I’m some kind of travel robot programmed to spew out generic praise. But 1989 Hostel & Cafe? This place… this place got to me. It’s a whirlwind, a beautiful mess, and honestly, you need to hear about it. So buckle up, because this isn't going to be your typical sterile hotel brochure fluff.

First Impressions: Accessibility (and a Confession)

Let's start with the practical stuff. Look, accessibility is key. I'm not a wheelchair user myself, but I appreciate a place that considers everyone. And 1989? They TRY. They have Facilities for disabled guests, which is a HUGE plus, but it's Thailand, so sometimes the charm wins over pure functionality. Think…slightly uneven sidewalks leading to the door. Still, the effort is there, and the staff are genuinely helpful. Elevator, check. Front desk [24-hour], check – crucially important after a long flight. Luggage storage? Saved my life. Honestly, I was a crumpled mess after 20 hours in the air. They had me checked in and my bag stashed before I even knew what was happening.

Internet Access (and My Digital Detox Attempt Failure)

Okay, so internet. Free Wi-Fi in all rooms! (Yes, they shout it!) AND Internet [LAN], if you're old school. I tried to unplug. I really did. I had visions of strolling around, absorbing the Thai culture, being one with nature. Yeah, lasted about 10 minutes. The Internet services are reliable, the Wi-Fi in public areas is solid. Honestly, the world needs to be online, and 1989 seems to get that. I ended up working from my laptop for a bit while sipping their amazing coffee (more on that later!).

Cleanliness and Safety (With a Side of "Phew!")

Post-COVID world? Cleanliness and safety are, well, everything. 1989 is on it. Anti-viral cleaning products, Daily disinfection in common areas, Hand sanitizer EVERYWHERE (thank god), and Rooms sanitized between stays. I’m a bit of a germophobe (don't judge), and I felt safe. They also have Staff trained in safety protocol, which, knowing Thai bureaucracy, probably involved a LOT of paperwork. They also have First aid kit - a must! Knowing you can get your hands on one can save a life, and you never see one until you need one. Oh, and the Fire extinguisher is always a great sign. Even with the best of intentions, sometimes a little safety feature makes a big difference.

Dining, Drinking, and Snacking (Oh, the Food!)

This is where 1989 REALLY shines. Forget the sterile, pre-packaged hotel breakfasts. This place is a foodie paradise!

  • Breakfast [buffet]: Amazing. Honestly, the Asian breakfast was out of this world. Forget those sad, rubbery eggs you get everywhere else. Think fresh fruit, fragrant curries, and enough noodles to fuel a marathon. There's also a Western breakfast if you're feeling homesick. Plus, the Coffee shop is stellar - you need to try the iced Thai coffee.
  • Restaurants: Yes, plural! A la carte in restaurant, Asian cuisine in restaurant, International cuisine in restaurant, Vegetarian restaurant… Seriously, my stomach was in heaven. They even have Soup in restaurant, which was divine after a long day of exploring.
  • Poolside bar: Yes, please! Happy hour? Double yes! Sipping a cocktail by the pool with that view (see below)? Pure bliss.
  • Snack bar: Essential for those mid-afternoon cravings for mango sticky rice (which, by the way, they do PERFECTLY).
  • Room service [24-hour]: Lifesaver after a delayed flight.

Things to Do (and Ways to Relax - Get Ready for the Spa Story)

This is where 1989 transcends "hostel" and becomes a full-blown experience.

  • Swimming pool [outdoor]: That Pool with view? Unreal. Seriously, I spent an embarrassing amount of time lounging by that pool. It’s the perfect backdrop for Instagram.
  • Spa/sauna: Uh, yes, please! I am not a spa person. I'm awkward, I sweat, and I generally feel like I’m failing at relaxation. But…I stumbled into the spa, lured by the promise of a Body scrub. Okay, here’s the story: I was sunburned. BAD. So, I went in, totally expecting to hate it. The masseuse, bless her heart, was a tiny whirlwind of competence. The Body wrap was heavenly (seriously, like being swaddled in a cloud). And the Sauna and Steamroom? Pure detoxification. I emerged two hours later feeling like a completely new person. Seriously, I almost cried. (Don't tell anyone).
  • Gym/fitness: They have a Fitness center, but I mostly stuck to the pool. In my defense, it was REALLY hot.
  • Massage: Worth every Baht. After my spa experience, I was hooked.
  • Things to do: Okay, they can organize excursions, but honestly, the best "thing to do" is to just be at 1989 for a full day.

Services and Conveniences (The Little Things That Matter)

Okay, some of the smaller details that made my stay extra smooth:

  • Cash withdrawal: Critical.
  • Concierge: Helpful.
  • Currency exchange: Convenient.
  • Daily housekeeping: Thank you, sweet angels.
  • Doorman - another must.
  • Ironing service: Because wrinkles are the enemy.
  • Laundry service: Essentials of travel life.
  • Luggage storage: Already mentioned, but so crucial.
  • Room service [24-hour]: Food at 3 AM is a YES for me
  • Safety deposit boxes: Peace of mind.

For the Kids (If You're Traveling With Little Humans)

  • Family/child friendly: They get it. Not so many of the usual, 'we're not quite ready' vibes of some hotels
  • Babysitting service: I didn't need it, but it's reassuring to know it's available.

Available in All Rooms (The Nitty Gritty)

  • Air conditioning: Crucial.
  • Air conditioning in public area: Important, I will not travel anywhere hot and not have AC!
  • Alarm clock: Yep.
  • Bathrobes: Luxury!
  • Blackout curtains: A must for sleeping in after a long flight.
  • Coffee/tea maker: Early morning bliss!
  • Complimentary tea: Thank you, 1989!
  • Daily housekeeping: More angels!
  • Desk: For those moments I was unfortunately still online.
  • Free Wi-Fi: Again, essential.
  • Hair dryer: Bless.
  • In-room safe box: Always a plus.
  • Mini bar: Temptation!
  • Non-smoking: Thank goodness!
  • Private bathroom: Essential.
  • Reading light: For those rare moments I got to read a book.
  • Refrigerator: Always helpful for snacks.
  • Shower: Perfect.
  • Slippers: Little details make a big difference.
  • Smoke detector: Peace of mind.
  • Wake-up service: Never used it, but hey.
  • Window that opens: Fresh air, glorious!

My Quirky Observations and Imperfections:

  • The decor is a bit…eclectic. Think vibrant colors, mismatched furniture, and a general vibe of "we threw everything we loved in here." It works. Really. It’s charming.
  • The staff are AMAZING, but like most places in Thailand, the understanding of English can vary. Be patient, be polite, and you’ll be fine!
  • The "quiet hours" are… flexible. This is a place for fun. You may encounter happy hour noise. Embrace it!
  • The whole place is a bit of a maze. Getting lost is part of the fun.

The Offer (Because You NEED to Book Now!)

So, are you sold? You should be.

Here’s the deal:

Book your stay at 1989 Hostel & Cafe NOW and get:

  • A free welcome drink at the Poolside Bar (hello, cocktails!)
  • 10% off any spa treatment (yes, please, pamper yourself!)
  • Free airport transfer (start your vacation stress-free!)

**

Unbelievable NZ Terrace Villa: Luxury Stays You WON'T Believe!

Book Now

1989 Hostel & Cafe Thailand

Alright, buckle up, buttercups. This isn't your sterile, perfectly-planned travel brochure. This is… well, me, in 1989 Thailand. And trust me, it's gonna be a bumpy ride.

1989 Thailand: The (Un)Professional Itinerary of a Clumsy American

(Note: This is more of a loose guideline than a rigid schedule. Expect deviations. Expect tears. Expect questionable street food.)

Day 1: Bangkok - Arrival & The Great Scaredy Cat Incident

  • Morning (Technically): Arrive in Bangkok. Oh. My. GOD. Heat. Humidity. A throng of people that feels like you've been swallowed whole by a chaotic, fragrant beast. I remember thinking, "This can't possibly be real." My brain, already fried from jet lag, is screaming for air conditioning. But first, the airport.
  • Mid-Morning: Taxi negotiation is a blood sport. I feel like a deer caught in the headlights of a Tuk Tuk. Finally, a guy with a charming, yet slightly shifty, grin agrees to take me to 1989 Hostel. The drive? A blur of temples, food stands, and what I think was a guy on a scooter carrying a live chicken.
  • Afternoon: Check into 1989 Hostel. The dorm is a blast furnace. No air con. Ceiling fan looks like it might detach and commit seppuku at any moment. Met some other crazies, a couple of Aussie blokes named Bruce and Kevin who looked like they'd been permanently tanned since birth, and a Japanese girl named Hana who was already fluent in Thai. I, on the other hand, could barely manage "Sawasdee."
  • Evening: The Great Scaredy Cat Incident: After a delicious (and slightly alarming) street food dinner (noodle soup with… things floating in it that I'd prefer not to identify), I wandered off to explore. Found a beautiful, ancient temple. Then, a skinny, stray cat with eyes like emeralds. I crouched down to pet it. It screeched at me, then lunged! I yelped, jumped backwards so fast I tripped over my own feet, and landed flat on my back in front of everyone. Mortified. Bruce and Kevin just about died laughing. Hana just smiled gently and said, "Welcome to Thailand." I think I blushed for a good hour.

Day 2: Temples, Tuk-Tuks, and the Existential Question of Mango Sticky Rice

  • Morning: Wat Pho. The Reclining Buddha. Okay, I'm starting to get this whole "temple" thing. It's beautiful, humbling, and the gold leaf nearly blinded me. Seriously, sunglasses are a must-have. Also, the massage school there is heaven. Almost. The pressure!
  • Mid-Morning: Tuk-Tuk ride through the city. Thrilling! Terrifying! The driver, a grinning maniac, weaved through traffic like he was auditioning for the Indy 500. Almost crashed into a street vendor selling… well, I don't know. Something vaguely edible.
  • Afternoon: Holy Mango Sticky Rice! Found a tiny, hole-in-the-wall place that served the best mango sticky rice I've ever tasted in my life. It was so good that I ate two bowls. And then I sat there, contemplating the meaning of life while staring at the sweet rice and sticky mango. I swear, I think I had an epiphany.
  • Evening: Trying to learn a few Thai phrases. Failed miserably. Uttered something that sounded like "I'm a disgrace to my species" instead of "Thank you." Bruce and Kevin are still laughing.

Day 3: River Life & a Fishy Encounter

  • Morning: A boat trip on the Chao Phraya River. Absolutely stunning. The temples, the bustling life on the riverbanks… it's like stepping into a postcard. I was so amazed, I almost forgot to watch for the long-tail boats. Some dude on our boat pointed to something, and I almost took a swim.
  • Afternoon: A trip to the floating markets. So, so cool. Boats laden with fruits, vegetables, and all sorts of stuff. Negotiating is part of the fun, I guess, still terrible at it. Ended up buying a pineapple. Now, I'm covered from head to toe.
  • Evening: The Fishy Encounter: Decided to try my hand at some fish foot massage. Seemed relaxing. I dipped my feet into the tank. Then the fish swarmed. It was… intense. I felt like they were trying to eat my ankles. Spent most of the time giggling and screaming, which probably freaked out the poor fish. But my feet felt remarkably smooth afterward.

Day 4: Train to Ayutthaya & the Ghostly Temple

  • Morning: Train to Ayutthaya. The train was hot, crowded, and smelled faintly of durian (I'm still not a fan). But as it chugged along, I saw a whole new side of Thailand. Fields of rice, villages, people waving. It was pure magic.
  • Afternoon: Ayutthaya historical park. Ruins of ancient temples. Gorgeous, crumbling, and definitely haunted. The silence was unnerving. I swear I got the bad vibes from a specific temple with a headless Buddha statue. Creepy, really creepy.
  • Evening: The hostel in Ayutthaya. Simple, clean, air-conditioned, much needed. A few beers with Bruce and Kevin. They're starting to grow on me, even if their sense of humor is a little crude. Hana isn't with us. She's heading south. "Too much tourist," she warned. I'm wondering if she's right, and am beginning to feel like a terrible, ungrateful tourist.

Day 5 & Beyond: (The Unwritten Chapters)

  • The South beckons… eventually: Planning to island hop. Koh Tao for diving. Koh Phi Phi for… whatever it is people do there. I'll try to take it easy, maybe practice my Thai. And for sure, I'll avoid any more encounters with terrifying cats.
  • Real-time stuff: More street food fails. More embarrassing attempts to bargain. More mind-blowing sunsets. More moments of pure, unadulterated awe. And, most likely, a few more moments of utter humiliation. But hey, that's the point, right?
  • The big picture: I'm completely and utterly overwhelmed. But also captivated. Thailand is messy, chaotic, and occasionally terrifying. But it's also beautiful, vibrant, and utterly unforgettable. Will I be doing all the things I planned? Probably not. Will I screw things up? Absolutely. But, I'm here, and I'm going to try to embrace the chaos. That's the only “plan” I need.
  • A few thoughts: The best advice anyone gave me for this trip? Just trust your gut. Find the local people. And, for the love of all that is holy, bring bug spray.

…And that, my friends, is my "itinerary." More of a vague set of aspirations mixed with the promise of inevitable mishaps. But you know what? I wouldn't have it any other way. Now, somebody hand me another Chang beer. Things are about to get interesting.

Manchester Mansion Sleeps 11: 6 Beds, Unbelievable Luxury!

Book Now

1989 Hostel & Cafe Thailand

1989 Hostel & Cafe: Your Burning Questions Answered (and My Rambling Opinions, Too!)

Okay, spill! What's *actually* so special about 1989 Hostel & Cafe? I've seen the Instagram – is it all hype?

Alright, alright, let's get real. Yes, the Instagram pics are gorgeous. But it's *more* than hype. Think of it like this: you're scrolling, you see the perfect postcard photo of pristine beaches, right? 1989 is the *unexpected* photo album, the one with the blurry candid shots, the silly faces, the raw emotion of a ridiculously good time. Honestly, it hit me the *instant* I walked in. It’s the vibe, man. It's a chaotic blend of comfy couches, mismatched furniture (in the BEST way), the constant murmurs of conversations, and the smell of REALLY good coffee. It feels like stumbling into a really cool, slightly eccentric friend's living room, only… they're serving amazing food and you’re surrounded by like-minded adventurous souls. Hype? Sure, but it's built on a solid foundation of actual awesome-ness. You've been warned – this place is a black hole (in a good way) – you'll never want to leave.

Is it REALLY the "best-kept secret" as everyone claims? Because if so, I'm terrible at finding secrets.

Okay, let's dissect this "secret" thing. It *was* a secret. Like, whispered-around-a-campfire secret. Now? Maybe not *fully* secret. But it doesn't feel like a tourist trap. It's got that vibe of "you know, you *should* know, but you probably don't... unless you've *really* done your research." I found it by accident, scrolling through obscure travel blogs. Pure luck. And honestly, I almost didn't believe it. I thought, "Nah, sounds too good to be true." But it's true. So, yeah, the secret is... it's no longer a complete secret, but you'll feel like you’ve discovered some hidden gem when you finally experience it. Don’t be surprised if you walk in and everyone *already* seems to know. Embrace it!

The cafe? Is the food any good? I'm a serious foodie.

Oh. My. God. The food. Let me put it like this: I once spent a *full* afternoon just lingering over a plate of their Pad Thai, savoring every single bite. I'm talking the kind of Pad Thai that makes you want to close your eyes, hum, and slowly let out a blissful sigh. It's authentic Thai food, done *perfectly*. But it's more than that. They've got Western options (burgers, salads, that sort of thing) that are, again, shockingly good. Honestly? I went in expecting mediocre hostel food. I left feeling like I’d stumbled upon a Michelin-star-worthy restaurant disguised as a cozy cafe. And the coffee? Forget Starbucks. They know their beans, and they know how to make a bloody good brew. *Seriously.* Get the iced latte. Thank me later. You won't regret it.

What's the atmosphere like? Is it all loud backpackers? Does it cater to families?

Okay, atmosphere is crucial when choosing a hostel and, frankly, 1989 knocks it out of the park. It's not *just* loud backpackers (thank goodness!). It's a real melting pot of ages, backgrounds, and travel styles. Sure, you'll find your fair share of young adventurers, but there's also solo travelers, couples, even a few more seasoned globetrotters. It's a space where everyone feels welcome. It is not really a "family" place, in the sense that it probably won't have a designated kids corner. But the vibe is so chill and welcoming that families on adventures can have a good time too. It's the kind of place where people are genuinely interested in each other, where conversations start easily, and where you'll probably make a bunch of new friends. And if you're like me, you'll spend way more time chatting to people than you thought you would.

Okay, spill the beans! What's the *single best* thing about 1989, according to *you*?

Alright, here it is. This might be a little weird, but to me, the *best* thing? Is how it made me *feel*. I walked in feeling burnt out from travel, and... I don't know, just *blah*. But this place is a hug. A warm, inviting hug. I found myself relaxing, chatting with strangers, *actually* enjoying myself. Forget the perfectly angled photos – the magic is in the *intangible*. It's the feeling of being welcomed, of belonging, the sense of being fully present in the moment. You know how sometimes, after a long trip, you *crave* that feeling of home? 1989 gave me that, but with a much better view and incredible food. I was hesitant about staying there, partly because I'm a total introvert, but it turned into one of the best travel experiences of my life. And yes, I am getting a bit choked up, I’ll admit. It just… really got to me.

Anything I need to know *before* I go? Any downsides?

Okay, the not-so-perfect side. It's not luxury, that's for sure. Think cozy, a little quirky, not pristine. If you are expecting a sterile hotel room, you are in the wrong place. The dorms can get a little noisy sometimes. Pack earplugs. And – and this is a small one – Wi-Fi can be spotty at times, especially during peak hours. Embrace it! Disconnect. Talk to people! Also, bookings fill up *fast*. Book well in advance. Seriously. Don't be like me and show up on a whim and have to beg for a bed on the floor (okay, I didn't *have* to, but the thought crossed my mind!). The biggest downside? Leaving. You *will* want to stay forever. It is that good. Be prepared for serious post-travel blues.

Can I book tours or activities from the hostel?

Yup! Absolutely. 1989 doesn't just offer a place to sleep and eat; they've got you covered for adventures. They often have a network of local guides and tour operators providing options for the local area. So whether you are interested in exploring the nearby temples, hiking trails, or other activities, you can often book them right there at the front desk. It makes planning much easier than doing it all yourself! It's also a great way to get insider tips on the best spots and connect with other travelers who are on a similar track.

Ocean View Inn

1989 Hostel & Cafe Thailand

1989 Hostel & Cafe Thailand