Escape to Paradise: Uncover the Secret of Ashoka Tree Resort, Tanggayuda
Escape to Paradise: Ashoka Tree Resort – Tanggayuda: My Totally Unfiltered Take (Brace Yourself!)
Okay, folks, listen up! I’m back from Bali, and let me tell you, the experience at the Ashoka Tree Resort in Tanggayuda… well, it’s a journey. And I'm here to spill the tea, the glowing tea, and maybe some spilled coffee too. Seriously, this review? It's gonna be a wild ride. Buckle up.
First Impressions: Accessibility & Getting There (Kinda Messy, Actually… but in a Good Way!)
Let's be real. Bali isn't exactly known for its perfectly paved roads. Getting to the Ashoka Tree is an adventure in itself. Think winding roads, lush greenery, and the occasional scooter squeezing past. Accessibility? Well, it's not the easiest. There are stairs and uneven pathways. Wheelchair access, I'd cautiously say, is limited. Check directly with the resort before booking if that's a major concern. But honestly? That's part of the charm. It feels secluded, like you're truly escaping. It’s a bit of a trek, but the payoff? Totally worth it, if you are looking for a real escape in the middle of nowhere.
Inside the Magical Fortress: Rooms, Wi-Fi, and… The Toiletries.
The "Access" to my room? Super simple with all the features I needed.
- Access, Anti-viral cleaning products, Breakfast in room, Breakfast takeaway service, Cashless payment service, Daily disinfection in common areas, Doctor/nurse on call, First aid kit, Hand sanitizer, Hot water linen and laundry washing, Hygiene certification, Individually-wrapped food options, Physical distancing of at least 1 meter, Professional-grade sanitizing services, Room sanitization opt-out available, Rooms sanitized between stays, Safe dining setup, Sanitized kitchen and tableware items, Shared stationery removed, Staff trained in safety protocol, Sterilizing equipment, Dining, drinking, and snacking, A la carte in restaurant, Alternative meal arrangement, Asian breakfast, Asian cuisine in restaurant, Bar, Bottle of water, Breakfast [buffet], Breakfast service, Buffet in restaurant, Coffee/tea in restaurant, Coffee shop, Desserts in restaurant, Happy hour, International cuisine in restaurant, Poolside bar, Restaurants, Room service [24-hour], Salad in restaurant, Snack bar, Soup in restaurant, Vegetarian restaurant, Western breakfast, Western cuisine in restaurant, Services and conveniences, Air conditioning in public area, Audio-visual equipment for special events, Business facilities, Cash withdrawal, Concierge, Contactless check-in/out, Convenience store, Currency exchange, Daily housekeeping, Doorman, Dry cleaning, Elevator, Essential condiments, Facilities for disabled guests, Food delivery, Gift/souvenir shop, Indoor venue for special events, Invoice provided, Ironing service, Laundry service, Luggage storage, Meeting/banquet facilities, Meetings, Meeting stationery, On-site event hosting, Outdoor venue for special events, Projector/LED display, Safety deposit boxes, Seminars, Shrine, Smoking area, Terrace, Wi-Fi for special events, Xerox/fax in business center, For the kids, Babysitting service, Family/child friendly, Kids facilities, Kids meal, Access, CCTV in common areas, CCTV outside property, Check-in/out [express], Check-in/out [private], Couple's room, Exterior corridor, Fire extinguisher, Front desk [24-hour], Hotel chain, Non-smoking rooms, Pets allowed unavailablePets allowed, Proposal spot, Room decorations, Safety/security feature, Security [24-hour], Smoke alarms, Soundproof rooms, Getting around, Airport transfer, Bicycle parking, Car park [free of charge], Car park [on-site], Car power charging station, Taxi service, Valet parking, Available in all rooms, Additional toilet, Air conditioning, Alarm clock, Bathrobes, Bathroom phone, Bathtub, Blackout curtains, Carpeting, Closet, Coffee/tea maker, Complimentary tea, Daily housekeeping, Desk, Extra long bed, Free bottled water, Hair dryer, High floor, In-room safe box, Interconnecting room(s) available, Internet access – LAN, Internet access – wireless, Ironing facilities, Laptop workspace, Linens, Mini bar, Mirror, Non-smoking, On-demand movies, Private bathroom, Reading light, Refrigerator, Safety/security feature, Satellite/cable channels, Scale, Seating area, Separate shower/bathtub, Shower, Slippers, Smoke detector, Socket near the bed, Sofa, Soundproofing, Telephone, Toiletries, Towels, Umbrella, Visual alarm, Wake-up service, Wi-Fi [free], Window that opens.
My room was a dream! Okay, let's talk about the Wi-Fi. Free Wi-Fi in all rooms? YES! And it actually works! I was able to post all my Instagram stories while relaxing on my balcony! It's like they knew how important it was to document my vacation. Internet access – LAN? Didn't need it, but good to know it's there. The rooms themselves are stunning. Seriously, the "Room decorations" are gorgeous. The decor is all natural wood and the colors are calming.
But seriously, the toiletries! They were high-quality and smelled amazing. Small things make a difference, ya know? And the "Bathrobes" and "Slippers" are a must. Because what's more luxurious than padding around in a fluffy robe and feeling like you're in a spa, at all times.
Food, Glorious Food! (My Waistline Wept.)
Alright, let's talk "Dining"! Oh, the "Restaurants". The "Asian Cuisine in restaurant" and the "International cuisine in restaurant" was the real deal. From the traditional Balinese dishes to the perfectly cooked pasta… My taste buds were ecstatic. I started every day with a "Breakfast [buffet]" that would make anyone drool. Seriously, even the "Coffee/tea in restaurant" hit the spot. And the "Poolside bar"? Perfect for sipping cocktails while watching the sunset. Honestly I went to "Happy hour" every day
- The "A la carte in restaurant" options were equally impressive, each dish a small work of art.
- The "Vegetarian restaurant" options will have your mouth watering!
- The "Snack bar" did not disappoint! I had a snack there one day.
Relaxation Overload: The Spa, the Pool, and… The Hammock.
Prepare to melt. The "Spa" at Ashoka Tree is pure bliss. They offer everything. I did a "Body wrap" and a "Massage", and I swear, I became one with the massage table. I actually fell asleep at one point. The whole experience made me feel like a limp noodle. They have a "Sauna", "Steamroom", and a "Foot bath"
The "Swimming pool" is gorgeous, overlooking the valley. It's pure Instagram fodder (trust me, I know). They are so amazing that they added a "Pool with view".
Things to Do (Besides Napping and Eating):
Okay, you've got to get off your butt and do something, right? They have a "Fitness center", which I did not partake in. But hey, there's also the local sights, so I rented a bike! I walked around.
Cleanliness and Safety (My Inner Germaphobe Approved!)
Listen, I'm a bit of a clean freak. And the Ashoka Tree gets a gold star in this department. I noticed and would like to recommend the "Anti-viral cleaning products", "Daily disinfection in common areas", "Hand sanitizer", "Hygiene certification", "Individually-wrapped food options", "Physical distancing of at least 1 meter", "Professional-grade sanitizing services", "Room sanitization opt-out available", "Rooms sanitized between stays", and "Sanitized kitchen and tableware items". They took cleanliness seriously, which made me feel really relaxed. They have the "Doctor/nurse on call" and the "First aid kit" in cases of emergency.
The Little Things That Matter:
- "Luggage storage" was super helpful when waiting for my
Okay, buckle up buttercups, because this isn't your sanitized, brochure-perfect itinerary. This is me, at the Ashoka Tree Resort in Tanggayuda, Indonesia, trying to string a few days together without completely losing it. And trust me, in this heat, that's a real possibility.
Ashoka Tree Rhapsody: A Tanggayuda Tango – AKA My Attempt at Paradise (with hiccups)
Day 1: Arrival & The Great Gecko Incident (aka "Why I Should Have Packed More Bug Spray")
- 1:00 PM: Landed at Denpasar, Bali: Holy mother of humidity! I stepped off the plane and felt like I'd walked directly into a warm, damp sponge. The drive to Tanggayuda seemed to stretch on FOREVER. My driver, thankfully, was a stoic Balinese man who probably sees this level of tourist bewilderment every damn day. His only reaction to my wide-eyed staring was a gentle nod.
- 3:00 PM: Arrived at Ashoka Tree. The entrance is gorgeous. Lush foliage, trickling water features… I'm instantly sold. Then… a gecko. A HUGE gecko, clinging to the wall of my villa. I shrieked. Like, a real, full-throated shriek. (Note to self: Practice composure. I'm sure the staff is used to this by now.)
- 3:30 PM: Settling in. My villa is stunning. The infinity pool is calling my name. But, I’m also starving so the call of food is equally strong.
- 4:00 PM: Ordered room service: Nasi Goreng. The taste was great, the portion size was enough also. I was so exhausted, I didn’t even remember what I did with the leftovers.
- 5:00 PM: The Pool! Finally, in the pool. Bliss. Until a rogue leaf decided to get friendly with my face every few minutes. Small price to pay for paradise, I guess.
- 7:00 PM: Dinner at the Open Restaurant. Trying the grilled Snapper. Delicious! The Balinese dancers were mesmerizing, but I’m pretty sure I fell asleep mid-performance. Jet lag is a real beast.
- 9:00 PM: Gecko reappears. This time, on the ceiling. I just accepted it. We're cohabitating now, I guess.
Day 2: Ubud Adventures (and the search for the perfect coffee)
- 8:00 AM: Wake up. Eat a huge buffet breakfast with everything on offer from fruit to juice, and bacon and eggs.
- 9:00 AM: Uber to Ubud: The traffic! Oh, the traffic. It's a dance of motorbikes and horns and sheer, unadulterated chaos. It's exhilarating and terrifying at the same time.
- 10:00 AM: Tegalalang Rice Terraces: Breathtaking! Truly. The green is so vibrant it almost hurts your eyes. I walked a bit off the main path and found a little warung selling fresh young coconuts. Best. Coconut. Ever.
- 11:00 AM: Trying to do some yoga: Found the Yoga Barn, but then was distracted by the monkeys in the surrounding area. They're absolute little kleptomaniacs. I saw a lady lose her sunglasses and a guy who had his backpack snatched mid-meditation. I’m currently sitting in a warung with my things secured and my eyes wide open. What a start.
- 12:00 PM: Lunch: Had the most amazing tempeh sandwich. It was seriously life-changing. And the coffee! I’m still on the hunt for the perfect Balinese coffee, but this was a solid contender.
- 1:00 PM: Ubud Market: I got lost. I haggled (badly). Bought a scarf I probably don't need. Felt incredibly overwhelmed by the sheer amount of stuff. Escaped empty-handed, but a little poorer.
- 3:00 PM: The Monkey Forest. The monkeys are cute, but they also have an attitude problem. I saw a monkey steal someone’s water bottle and then proceed to aggressively glare at them. I kept a healthy distance.
- 4:00 PM: Back to the resort. Pool time. This time, I managed to avoid the leaf facial.
- 6:00 PM: Trying Balinese massage because I feel like a melted puddle of human after this day.
- 7:00 PM: Dinner, same open restaurant from Day 1, but this time a different dish. Another great meal!
Day 3: The Sacred and The Silly (and a whole lot of contemplation)
- 8:00 AM: Wake up. Eat a huge buffet breakfast with everything on offer from fruit to juice, and bacon and eggs.
- 9:00 AM: Visited Tirta Empul Temple: The water blessings were incredible. I got a little teary-eyed, to be honest. The whole place has a palpable sense of peace. The journey to reach that peace makes me realize how much I do to find it.
- 11:00 AM: Hike in Campuhan Ridge Walk: It’s a short and easy hike across a beautiful ridge. The views were pretty, but it was also hot. So, so hot. My clothes are probably permanently stained with sweat. Worth it, though. Kind of.
- 12:00 PM: Back at my villa for more pool time. More leaf encounters. Fine.
- 2:00 PM: More yoga and meditation. This time, with no monkeys in sight, so it was more successful.
- 3:00 PM: Ashoka Tree’s Spa: I booked an aromatherapy massage. It was heavenly. The scent of frangipani! The soothing music! I drifted off to sleep and woke up feeling like a reborn human being. Money well spent.
- 6:00 PM: Pre-dinner drink at the bar. Watched the sunset. So beautiful and peaceful.
- 7:00 PM: Dinner: This time in the villa for some privacy. The food was excellent.
- 8:00 PM: Last night with the gecko. Not much to say.
Day 4: Departure (and a pang of heartbreak)
- 8:00 AM: Wake up. Eat a huge buffet breakfast with everything on offer from fruit to juice, and bacon and eggs.
- 9:00 AM: Pack. Sigh. That feeling of having to leave paradise is brutal. I wish I could stay the rest of the year!
- 10:00 AM: Check out from the resort. Goodbye, Ashoka Tree. Goodbye, gecko. Goodbye, beautiful pool.
- 11:00 AM: Drive to the airport: I’m already missing the warmth, the food, the friendly people, the slightly chaotic beauty of Bali.
- 1:00 PM: Fly home, carrying a suitcase full of memories, a slightly burnt nose, and a newly cultivated appreciation for geckos.
Post-Trip Reflections… (aka, what I learned from my Indonesian adventure)
- Embrace the chaos: Seriously. Just go with the flow. You'll be happier.
- Learn to haggle (or just resign yourself to being ripped off): Seriously, it’s important.
- Bug spray is your friend: Don't repeat my mistakes.
- Find the good coffee: It's out there, I just know it.
- Take a deep breath: The world is pretty amazing. Even with the humidity and the monkeys.
- Go back to Bali again: Absolutely. And you should too. It will change your life!
Escape to Paradise: Ashoka Tree Resort - Yeah, About That... An FAQ You *Actually* Want (Maybe)
Okay, so Ashoka Tree Resort…Is it *actually* paradise? Because let’s be honest, Instagram is a liar.
Alright, alright, let's get real. Paradise is a big word. And honestly, for me? No, not *total* paradise. But… it was pretty darn close. Think, less perfectly manicured Instagram-paradise and more… a slightly messy, incredibly beautiful, sometimes surprisingly buggy, but ultimately unforgettable experience. I arrived expecting flawless. I *got* something better: real. There were geckos in my room (more on that later), the wifi hiccuped more than I’d like, and one of the massage therapists had a cough I was convinced I’d catch. But then… the sunsets. Oh. My. God. The sunsets. And the genuine warmth of the staff… That stuff? That’s pure gold. See? Messy, right from the get-go!
Tell me about those villas. They look stunning. Are they as good as they seem?
Stunning is an understatement. Picture this: your own private plunge pool (that's the real flex, by the way), a four-poster bed that makes you feel like royalty, and a bathroom so open-air you practically shower with the birds. But… and there’s always a “but,” isn't there? My villa (number 14, FYI) was directly adjacent to some seriously rambunctious crickets. Sleep was a *bit* elusive the first night. And the air con… bless its little overworked heart… struggled on particularly humid days. But again, the *vibe*! Waking up to the sound of the river, the sheer privacy… worth every. Single. Penny. And, okay, I'll admit, I spent a *ridiculous* amount of time just floating in that pool, staring at the sky. So, yeah. Pretty good.
Geckos. You mentioned geckos. Are they a problem? Because I’m *terrified* of those little guys.
Okay, let's talk about the geckos. This is where my 'paradise' bubble deflated a *little*. I am... not a fan. They're everywhere in Bali, and at Ashoka Tree, they're basically honorary residents. One particularly bold fella decided my room was his new bachelor pad. He’d scurry up the bamboo walls, making these tiny, chirping noises. The first time? Dramatic, I’m not gonna lie. Sheets were thrown, a small scream may or may not have been emitted. I’m not proud of it. The resort staff are super helpful, and they'll come remove it if you're truly freaked out, which I was, on several occasions. After a while, you just… accept it. They eat the bugs (apparently a good thing), and they add a certain *je ne sais quoi* to the whole jungle vibe. Still, I’ll be forever haunted by the memory of the gecko who took up residence *just* above my bed. Never slept so rigidly in my life. Consider yourself warned. Bring earplugs and a healthy dose of denial.
The food! What's the food like? Because bland hotel food is a mortal sin.
The food? Oh, the food! Thank GOD, it’s not bland hotel food. It's actually… amazing. Seriously good. The breakfast buffet is a dream – fresh fruit, pancakes, omelettes made to order… pure deliciousness. I’m still dreaming of the passionfruit. Lunch and dinner are equally fantastic, with a focus on local ingredients and Indonesian specialties. Try the Nasi Goreng! And the cocktails? Oh, the cocktails! (The passionfruit juice is also phenomenal, just in case you want to skip the alcohol.) My only criticism? Portion sizes. I had to order a *second* Nasi Goreng one night because I was ravenous after a day of lounging by the pool. No regrets, though. NONE. The restaurant has open air dining and the view is simply breathtaking.
What about the spa? Is it worth the hype (and the price tag)?
The spa... Okay, this is where I nearly *died* and went to heaven. (Then quickly came back to the slightly-too-small massage table). The setting is pure bliss - tranquil, surrounded by lush vegetation, and just… *perfect*. The treatments are heavenly. I had a Balinese massage that made me feel like a limp noodle (in the best possible way). My therapist, bless her, had hands of pure skill, and could work out knots I didn't even know I had. The scents? Divine. The pressure? *Just right*… mostly. (She did make a slight miscalculation once and almost gave me a chiropractic adjustment with her elbow, but that's on me for not speaking up!) Is it expensive? Yes. Is it worth it? Abso-freaking-lutely. Treat yourself. You're worth it. Your stressed-out shoulders are worth it. Book the massage the day you arrive and make a spa day a *thing*.
What's there to *do* besides, you know, breathing in all that beauty?
Okay, yes, there's the beauty. A lot of it. But if you want to *do* things, Ashoka Tree offers plenty of options. They have cooking classes (which I, sadly, missed – BIG REGRET), yoga sessions (felt the pull, never went), and activities like cycling to the nearby town of Ubud. You can also arrange day trips to temples, rice paddies, and other Balinese attractions. I personally spent most of my time reading by the pool, wandering through the rice paddies, and staring at the sunset. Hey, no judgment! Sometimes, doing *nothing* is the best thing to do. That said: go to Ubud. It’s a short ride away and absolutely fascinating. Get lost in the market, eat some street food, and prepare to get your mind blown by the sheer sensory overload. Just… maybe don't buy *too* many things. My suitcase was… well, let’s just say it was *challenged* by the luggage allowance on the way home.
The staff – are they as lovely as everyone says?
The staff? They are the soul of the place. Seriously. Above and beyond lovely. Genuine smiles, a willingness to help with anything, and a kindness that makes you feel… well, cared for. From the moment you arrive, you're treated like royalty. They remembered my name, my coffee order, and my general level of gecko-related anxiety. They arranged transportation, offered local tips, and just generally made the whole experience feel effortless. One day, I managed to get a rather nasty sunburn (sunscreen failure, a classic rookie mistake) and they brought me aloe vera from their own gardens and checked on me like I was family. That warmth and genuine care is what truly sets Ashoka Tree apart. Yes, the villas are gorgeous, the food divine, the scenery breathtaking, but it’s the people that make you never want to leave. I’m already plotting my return, and I can’t waitMountain Stay